The Heritage Cycle diagram gives us an idea how we can make the past part of our future (Simon Thurley, 2005). In a clockwise direction the wedges and arrows read:
- By understanding (cultural heritage)
- people value it
- By valuing it
- people want to care for it
- By caring for it
- it will help people enjoy it
- From enjoying it
- comes a thirst to understand
- By understanding it………..etc
- Simon Thurley, Into the future. Our stategy for 2005-2010. In: Conservation Bulletin [English Heritage], 2005 (49).
- ICOMOS, International Cultural Tourism Charter. Principles And Guidelines For Managing Tourism At Places Of Cultural And Heritage Significance. ICOMOS International Cultural Tourism Committee. 2002.